The Maltipoo breed of dog has become one of the most popular in the world. This is due in large part to its lovable size, great temperament, and of course, its designer dog status. If you are interested in buying and owning one of these dogs, though, there are a few things you need to learn.
Five Things to Know about the Maltipoo
1. The Maltipoo is not a purebred dog. Instead, it is a 50/50 mix of a Poodle and Maltese. Not being purebred is not nearly as big a deal as some people believe. If you fall in love with a dog it does not matter what kind it is – purebred or mixed breed.
2. The best way to describe the temperament of this breed is lively, energetic, and friendly. While every dog is unique in its own way, the Maltipoo temperament is one of the best you will come across. If you are looking for a friendly dog that will keep you on your toes at all times, this is one breed that you don’t want to pass by.
3. The size of a Maltipoo puppy is not the size of an adult dog. When you first buy your dog it is going to be very tiny. In fact, my pup was only a pound when I brought him home the first time. This does not last forever. You can expect your adult Maltipoo to weigh between 5 and 12 pounds, and stand approximately 10 to 14 inches high.
4. Maintenance is important. There is no denying that you will have to care for your dog, day in and day out. With a Maltipoo this is even more important because you will have to pay special attention to its coat. If you don’t, tangles will become evident and you will find grooming to be quite difficult.
5. This is a small breed, but it still requires exercise. You may think that small dogs can get away with little to no exercise, right? This is not the case with a Maltipoo. There is nothing wrong with living in an apartment with this breed, as long as you take it on walks from time to time. Not only does this help get rid of some of your dog’s energy, but it improves its health at the same time.
Top Five Reasons to Buy a Maltipoo
1. They are fun to be around. Even though every dog has something special to offer, this breed will always make you feel warm and fuzzy.
2. The Maltipoo is definitely a lapdog. Do you like curling up on the couch to read a good book? If so, your dog will be right by your side!
3. They do more than hang out in the home. No, this is not a working breed of dog but for outdoor fun the Maltipoo is a great fit. These dogs love hanging out in the sun, taking walks, and just being with other people.
4. They don’t eat a lot! This may not be the best reason to buy a Maltipoo, but if you are trying to cut back on the cost of dog food it is something to consider.
5. All Maltipoo dogs are cute. There is no denying that this is one of the cutest breeds you will ever come across. Get ready for all the attention this dog will bring!